So in my family these are known as Mikkelsen Squares. A close friend of our family, with the last name Mikkelsen, used to make these for our family on special occasions like Christmas. I had no idea they actually had another name until this year!
My husbands family have a tradition to make peanut butter cookies for Christmas as my father-in-law absolutely loves anything peanut! SO, this year I thought I would blend two traditions and tackle this easy to make recipe.
Don't get me wrong here, this recipe is not "healthy" by any means, but I chose healthier and less processed ingredients. If we are going to indulge in nostalgic treats, why not change out the GMO and highly refined ingredients for better choices. I am also not the hugest fan of peanuts due to the mycotoxins and being a high allergen, but once a year I can bend and enjoy a peanut treat. Remember to always "treat treats as treats".
Happy and healthy holidays to you and your family!
Aka: No Bake Vegan Sweet Marie Bars
- 1 cup organic peanut butter (you could use any nut butter like almond butter)
- 1 cup organic brown rice syrup (Lundberg is a great brand)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups brown rice crisps (I like Natures Path or One Degree)
- 1 bag of Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper or grease it up with coconut oil
- In a pot over low-medium heat mix together peanut butter, brown rice syrup, coconut sugar, coconut oil and sea salt until melted, bubbling and thoroughly mixed.
- Remove from heat and add brown rice crisps and hemp seeds. Mix with spatula until well incorporated.
- Quickly transfer hot mixture to the baking dish and using your spatula or a piece of parchment, press and spread mixture.
- Spread chocolate chips on top while mixture is hot and leave for a few minutes for them to melt.
- Using a spatula, spread chocolate evenly getting into the corners.
- Refrigerate until bars harden, about 1 hour.
- Cut into squares and serve.