I love this time of year! Pumpkin everything!! These soft carrot pumpkin cookies are the perfect treat. They are just the right amount of sweet and can even be eaten for breakfast! They freeze well so you can make a large batch and have them on hand!
Halloween is SO soon. Are you not sure what to give out or do with the surplus of packaged corn syrup and food colouring? Check out my article in the Fernie Fix here!
Soft Carrot Pumpkin Cookies
Makes 24 Cookies
- 1 Cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups finely grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 2 eggs (or egg substitute: 2 Tbsp ground flax seed plus 6 Tbsp warm water)
- 10 pitted medjool dates
- ¼ Cup filtered or spring water
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups spelt flour or all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ Cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp clove
- ¾ Cup chopped pecans, pumpkin seeds (or chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease or line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- If you are using egg substitute, combine ground flax and water and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, add pitted dates and water and blend until smooth paste.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, oats, shredded coconut, baking powder, salt, spices and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the pumpkin puree, carrots, eggs, date paste, coconut oil, coconut sugar and vanilla extract until smoothly blended.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix until well incorporated. Add in nuts, seeds or chocolate if desired.
- Roll 3-4 tablespoons worth of dough onto balls, place onto prepared baking sheets and press each cookie into shape, about 1 inch apart.
- Place and press nuts and seeds on top of each cookie.
- Bake until the cookies are set but still light in color, about 13-15 minutes. You don’t want to over bake these! Allow them to cool before eating. You are officially allowed to have these cookies for breakfast!
- Store in an air tight container for up to 4 days. These cookies also freeze well.